7/17/2012

LHT Session 3

Knee Push-ups 30/25 (50/50)
Chair-assisted Pull ups (2 legs) 10/7 (20/20)
Assisted Squat w/ Bar 50/50 (50/50)
Elevated Jackknife Press 15/15* (25/25)
Elbow/Knee Plank 90/60 (90/90)
Elbow/Knee Side Plank (L) 45/45 (45/45)
Elbow/Knee Side Plank (R) 45/45 (45/45)

*Shit form.

Looks like I can progress to the next level of squats

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there - ran across your blog as I am reading the primal blueprint right now and am thinking about trying out the whole LHT series as he goes over in the Primal Fitness Guide.

Question for you - when you do the assessment - I see this as my first thing (this is the woman version):
0 to 5 Wall Push
6 to 15 Knee Pushup
16 to 25 Incline Pushup
26+ Pushup

So this means that when i start my assessment for the push ups, i would do 5 wall push ups and if i can do that i would move to trying to do 15 knee pushups? And so on? I'm confused by the chart for some reason & wanted to see how someone else was interpreting it!

Mike Morikawa said...

Wonderful! I just finished my 4th LHT session, and I feel pretty good. It's important to note that exercises really do tire you out, but in a very good way. Ironically, I have more energy throughout the day when I do these.

Getting back to your question, the numbers Mr. Sisson lists, and the corresponding exercise, are based on how many of the ESSENTIAL PRIMAL MOVEMENTS you can do.

So lets look at the first, Pushup. When you do your assessment, you do as many Pushups (Level 4, in blue) you can do. The number you can do corresponds to the exercise you start with on the Self-Assessment chart. So say you manage 12 push-up on the women's chart. That means your starting exercise it he Knee Pushup. For myself, I know that I've never been able to do even a single, proper pullup, so I started with the Chair-assisted 2-leg pullup.

One of the confusing things was what the LHT sessions actually were. After a bit more reading, I manage to work out the following:

Going back to our pushup example, we look at our starting exercise, knee pushup. The number listed there (30) indicates a full set or repetitions. The LHT sessions involve 2 CYCLES of each of the five movements (Pushup, Pullup, Squat, Overhead Press, and Plank). So you'd go down the list, doing your exercises, rest, then start all over again (so, P,P,S,OP,P, then again P,P,S,OP,P), each time trying to get to the target reps.

As this is a progression workout, being able to successfully complete full reps on both cycles means you're ready to head up to the next level of that exercise. So again using the pushup example, once you're able to do 30 knee-pushups each cycle, you move up to the inclined pushup, with it's new target rep.

Anyway, hope that helps, and good luck! Feel free ask any other questions you might have. I'm no expert, but I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the info! This was helpful. I did my assessment today and couldn't help but laugh at myself over my "attempt" to do one pull up. I figured i wouldn't be able to - but i thought i'd try anyway.

The pull up bars at my gym are all SUPER high, so even when I pulled a bench over to do the assists, i would have to jump up to even get myself above the bars. I ended up using one of those assisted chin up machines where you can set the weight. I guess i'll have to just figure out how that will covert to "2 leg assist" and 1 leg assist.

Considering a pull up bar for my home gym - are you doing all this at home?

Mike Morikawa said...

Hey thanks. I took at a gander at your website. I had to laugh out loud. So much more involved than mine, I wondered why you were asking my advice!

Yeah, I do all my exercises at home. Yoga mat, a couple of chairs, and pull up bar installed.

http://www.gofit.net/chin-up-bar.php

I hear you on the gym chin-up bars. Even when I living in Japan, and everything is 6 inches shorter, I had to jump to even reach the chin-up bars there. I think the chin-up assisted machines are good. One of the things I find hard to do is using a chair, and resisting the urge to use my legs.