2/18/2005

Home at last

All good things must come to an end, they say. I"m back in good ol' T.O., very relieved to have the return leg of the trip over with. Door to door was about 24 hours, and after some preliminary web surfing and unpacking, I was fast asleep in bed by 1am.

So, final thoughts? My time in Japan seemed longer that it was. 12 days (10 really) gave me a healthy dose of Japan, at least the Fukuoka parts. My mom comments that this was probably just about right. Not long enough to be a bother, but long enough to want to stay a tad bit longer.

Overall, my experience was of course positive. I went almost 2 solid weeks speaking only Japanese, so my confidence with it, rather than any grammatical or vocabulary improvement, is much higher. I definitely want to live at least a few years there, and at this time, I think most of my energies will be directed in that manner. I think for now, editor's courses are on hold while I consider what my best strategy will be in order to realize my goals. Not really an epiphany or a wake up call, but more of a kick in the ass to get me out of my rut.

My mother's experiences were a little different. I'll go out on a limb and say she enjoyed herself, but she was far more anxious than I to get home. Perhaps because she was born and raised in Japan, perhaps because she feels that her years in Canada makes her unable to live in Japan anymore, but she felt more keenly than I the imposition upon our relatives as they rearranged their lives for 2 weeks.

She also brought up another point. My experiences in Japan, while in some ways unique, in some ways mundane, were entirely the experiences of an outsider, visitor, and guest. In an odd way, I was connected and disconnected from the world that surrounded me, able to move through it and interact with it, but in a sense never fully integrate with it. Making money for my daily bread was never a consideration; only the spending bonanza that comes with vacationing. I was opened to some of the harsher realities of my family ties, but shielded from the society as a whole.

At the risk of sounding philosophical or introspective, I wonder how this clashes with my own preconceptions of my heritage, or my place in a global Japanese community. I was acutely aware, even during my short time there, that I was indeed very much a foreigner. I can only wonder at what the Japanese store employees thought of this odd chimera of Japanese speaker and foreign mannerism. When some cashier fired at me a blur of Japanese point-cardism, I was more often than not left speechless, struggling to understand what I was being told. I must have looked like a moron when I turned helplessly to a relative, who in turn answered for me.

Thus I cannot deny a feeling that my proficiency in Japanese is both a great hinderance as well as an asset. A hinderance because my fluency and lack of obvious accent makes people expect that I am 100% able to operate in that society. I cannot turn to the easy crutch of a foreigner's face or skin-tone, or even accent as a way of indicating that I am not fluent.

The conflict comes then from my own positivist attitude and ability to adapt to my own circumstances. Until I opened my mouth, or failed to react to a question posed, I was for all intents and purposes a normal, if not slightly eccentric, Japanese man. I never felt out of sorts or out of place in Japan. In fact, I felt pretty damn comfortable.

While it may seem at odds with my earlier comments of recognizing my gaijin status in Japan, it isn't. Those of you who know me well might ponder over my seemingly care not to make waves with those around me, my attempts to ensure that people are seated around a table in a manner that ensure no one feels uncomfortable with their neighbours, or any other number of seeming trivialities that I engage in. These mannerisms are not because I am an overly sensitive man, but are rather a product of my being brought up with at least some Japanese values. While I realized that I was a foreigner, I felt comfortable knowing that such mannerisms were normal in Japan. While this is difficult for me to admit, for the first time in my life I was conscious of being part of a culture, rather than just living in one. What, exactly, this means for me in Canada I cannot say, for these are questions I have never really openly contemplated.

Another factor was made evident from what was certainly an off the cuff comment from on my relatives (I don't remember who). They remarked that, were I to come to Japan with obviously foreign friends, and display my ability to converse fluently in both Japanese and English, a listener might be envious of, and a little hostile to, me, thinking "Just who the hell does this guy think he is, showing us all up?" It is not a reaction I can explain on any intellectual level, but one I can understand at a subconsious level.

The conflict, therefore, comes to me in this form: will I be able to succeed in Japan as a foreigner without a foreigner's crutches to fall back onto? My fluency at both the language and the cultural mannerisms are a fragile facade covering a complex, multi-cultural, and ultimately Canadian, personality, yet that person could only be recognized and understood by someone who learned about my situation. My pseudo-Japanese appearance and speech will lead those I interact with to assume that I am in fact Japanese, and when my Canadian-ness asserts itself, they can reach only one of two conclusions. Either I am a grade-A moron, because even the simplest concepts like point-cards or payment plans elude me, or I am a better person than they are because I am more able, because of my fluency in English. Both of these conclusions arise from the fact that there are no obvious signs of gaijin-ness about me. They cannot, I think, re-evaluate their strategy from Japanese-interaction to gaijin-interaction mid-stride without themselves feeling foolish.

Regardless of what comes for me in the future, I can only hope that my positivism will carry me through it. Perhaps, much like at home, I can rely on the friends I make to help me weather the stormy channels of Japanese society. My situation is not unique in itself, as I know of many others who have made the same trek as I am contemplating, but it is unique to me.

Of course, all of this is moot until I graduate :P

This last post was a heavy one, but one I feel is necessary to complete my own personal journey in Fukuoka Japan. I hope that you have enjoyed reading it, for I truly enjoyed writing it. For the time being, this blog is at an end.

At the end of the day, I feels damn good to sleep in a bed again...

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://bowunytib.lookseekpages.com/ubelib.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://nilyhadif.wtcsites.com/vowylym.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://xibonase.freewebportal.com/rysafy.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ugobobahy.freewebsitehosting.com/ozofiv.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

durangos dating website [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]free gay personals[/url] disability dating service http://loveepicentre.com/ russian personals

Anonymous said...

ipod touch auto audio cable [url=http://www.cardvdplanet.com/6-2-inch-tft-lcd-screen-2-din-dvd-player-usb--discount-price14.html]auto audio las vegas[/url] auto dvd video http://www.cardvdplanet.com/buy-cheap-car-dvd8.html car audio subwoofers auto cheap insurance
auto audio capasiters [url=http://www.cardvdplanet.com/car-dvd-player-with-bluetooth-and-tv--discount-price42.html]best auto dvd player[/url] car audio equipment for gmc http://www.cardvdplanet.com/8-5-inch-flip-down-car-monitor-dvd-game-car0038--discount-price2.html honda car audio code
calgary 32nd ave ne auto audio store [url=http://www.cardvdplanet.com/magoten-touch-screen-7-inch-2-din-tft-lcd--discount-price88.html]auto audio refurbishers[/url] compatible wireless headphones for all auto dvd systems http://www.cardvdplanet.com/9-inch-portable-dvd-player-support-tv--discount-price100.html volvo car dvd mb 8000

Anonymous said...

give birth at national naval medical center [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/sarafem.htm]sarafem[/url] post traumatic stress disorder and rape http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/periactin.htm lyrics to if cupid had a heart by salena gomez http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/cleocin.htm
feta cheese does it have cholesterol [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/toprol-xl.htm]toprol xl[/url] blood in human secration [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/depakote.htm]christian drug rehab centers[/url]

Anonymous said...

http://rxmeds.in/coumadin/generic-name-for-coumadin
[url=http://rxmeds.in/actonel/actonel-not-working]what causes someone to use drugs[/url] drug addiction facts [url=http://rxmeds.in/ibuprofen]ibuprofen[/url]
port st joe pharmacy http://rxmeds.in/famvir/famvir-single-dose
[url=http://rxmeds.in/alli/alli-and-gastric-bypass-surgery]online pharmacy prescription required[/url] history of pcp the drug [url=http://rxmeds.in/acai/mona-vie-acai-berry-juice]mona vie acai berry juice[/url]
marijuna time for drug screen http://rxmeds.in/depressive/gluten-and-depressive-disorders
[url=http://rxmeds.in/imdur/imdur-pharmacokinetic]antique pharmacy cabinet[/url] giant eagle four dollar drug list [url=http://rxmeds.in/depressive/gluten-and-depressive-disorders]gluten and depressive disorders[/url] drug free childbirth [url=http://rxmeds.in/yohimbe/snort-yohimbe]snort yohimbe[/url]

Anonymous said...

travel shaver http://greatadventures.in/inn/foxfire-inn travel agency start up facts
[url=http://greatadventures.in/plane-tickets/plane-tickets-for-college-students]incentive travel job[/url] china holidays travel group [url=http://greatadventures.in/flight/first-non-stop-commercial-flight-california-australia]first non stop commercial flight california australia[/url]
dell travel mouse with bluetooth technology http://greatadventures.in/inn/comfort-inn-lake-buena-vistra-orlando
[url=http://greatadventures.in/hotel/hard-rock-hotel-sandiego]travel sized hairdryer[/url] travel agency in guangzhou [url=http://greatadventures.in/car-rental/alamo-rental-car-luton]alamo rental car luton[/url]
burkhart travel http://greatadventures.in/flight/taking-flight-2 travel expectations [url=http://greatadventures.in/flight/flight-schedule-papeete]flight schedule papeete[/url]

Anonymous said...

seat covers 1986 volkswagen cabriolet http://latestcarnews.in/triumph/triumph-frame c harper auto complex
[url=http://latestcarnews.in/supermoto/two-bros-supermoto-racing]grand thieft auto vice city[/url] vibe automobile [url=http://latestcarnews.in/oldsmobile/irving-rybicki-oldsmobile]irving rybicki oldsmobile[/url]
cna automobile extended warranty http://latestcarnews.in/triumph/triumph-frame
[url=http://latestcarnews.in/romeo/alfa-romeo-club-charlotte-nc]automobile accident wv[/url] yugo automobile [url=http://latestcarnews.in/lamborghini/is-lamborghini-spanish]is lamborghini spanish[/url]
air cooled volkswagen for sale http://latestcarnews.in/skoda/hella-skoda-light
[url=http://latestcarnews.in/peugeot/peugeot-106-central-locking-problems]aaa auto financing rates[/url] best automobile for the money [url=http://latestcarnews.in/peugeot/how-do-i-replace-a-peugeot-306-light-bulb]how do i replace a peugeot 306 light bulb[/url]

Anonymous said...

aaa travel certificates http://wikitravel.in/flight/pan-am-pacific-flight melita travel cup coffee maker
[url=http://wikitravel.in/flight/ch-products-pro-pedals-usb-flight-simulator-pedals]handheld travel scale[/url] new york city travel tour [url=http://wikitravel.in/hotel/hotel-napoleon-in-paris]hotel napoleon in paris[/url]
airstream 1973 travel trailer information http://wikitravel.in/travel/hawaiian-safe-travel-sayings
[url=http://wikitravel.in/plane-tickets/plane-tickets-from-panama-to-columbia]cox and kings travel[/url] russia train travel [url=http://wikitravel.in/airlines/airlines-which-have-invested-in-the-safetrolley]airlines which have invested in the safetrolley[/url]
travel strollers strollers http://wikitravel.in/tours/sicily-tours tips for dog travel [url=http://wikitravel.in/travel/honduras-vacation-travel]honduras vacation travel[/url]

Anonymous said...

baltimore print designer http://topcitystyle.com/39-men-size28.html fashion design online course [url=http://topcitystyle.com/armani-women-apos-s-long-sleeve-tops-brand8.html]designer pillows uk[/url] danville fashion
http://topcitystyle.com/roberto-cavalli-casual-brand7.html chanel cuff bracelet [url=http://topcitystyle.com/?action=products&product_id=2337]dfsport shoes[/url]

Anonymous said...

nucclear medicine delhousei [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/categories/anti-acidite.htm]anti acidite[/url] bob casey heart transplant michael lucas http://usadrugstoretoday.com/categories/huesos-sanos.htm
ways to improve drugs metabolism [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/depakote.htm]depakote[/url] medications that cause vaginal odor [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/categories/erection-paquetes.htm ]thanksgiving great depression [/url] scarless breast lift
allergic to selfish how do i eat it [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/imodium.htm]imodium[/url] stress reduction systems http://usadrugstoretoday.com/categories/anti-champignons.htm
blue cross blue shield florida health options [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/pletal.htm]pletal[/url] herbal remedies for drug resistant staff infection [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/categories/anti-acidez.htm ]antibiotics for acute bronchitis [/url] mcguire air force base medical clinic

Anonymous said...

demonstration tying shoes http://www.thefashionhouse.us/red-women-color8.html dc shoes icons [url=http://www.thefashionhouse.us/cream-sky-blue-on-sale-color153.html]womens clothes[/url] ancient egyptian fashion for women
http://www.thefashionhouse.us/white-underwear-color4.html shop for clothes [url=http://www.thefashionhouse.us/grey-round-neck-color1.html]rushu shoes[/url]

Anonymous said...

men xxx uncut penis [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/himplasia.htm]himplasia[/url] support groups for men who have been damaged by viagra http://usadrugstoretoday.com/catalogue/p.htm
motivation for weight loss free [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/gasex.htm]gasex[/url] alberta provincial drug formulary [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/cardizem.htm ]orgasm by shower head movies [/url] different types of vaginal discharge and what they mean
breast lo [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/frozen--energy-and-libido-enhancer-.htm]frozen energy and libido enhancer[/url] us medical services http://usadrugstoretoday.com/categories/anti-allergique-et-l-asthme.htm
icf blood [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/mevacor.htm]mevacor[/url] are fish antibiotics safe for humans [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/micardis.htm ]health care partners harlingen [/url] congestive heart failure conference

Anonymous said...

stop smoking drug [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/pletal.htm]pletal[/url] veterinary medicine models http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/metformin.htm
hills veterinarian diet [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/categories/gastro-intestinal.htm]gastro intestinal[/url] mental health program director job description [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/arimidex.htm ]pro smoking arguements [/url] she said my tits are sore and my breast pump is broken
history of standard health insurance claim form [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/hydrea.htm]hydrea[/url] history of medical malpractice http://usadrugstoretoday.com/categories/general-health.htm
equine dental bar [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/lopid.htm]lopid[/url] valium us licensed prescription [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/zyprexa.htm ]east india tea company [/url] international medical air rescue services in south africa

Anonymous said...

mootsies tootsies shoes http://luxefashion.us/orange-off-white-color212.html cassowary road fashion [url=http://luxefashion.us/denis-simachev-long-sleeve-tops-brand3.html]chen lin fashion[/url] comfortable shoes
http://luxefashion.us/grey-tops-shirts-with-colar-color1.html backstage hair designer [url=http://luxefashion.us/white-and-purple-color147.html]toddler clothes for easier diaper changes[/url]

Anonymous said...

house of blues show boat casino atlantic city nj http://xwn.in/roulette_casinos-casino-roulette-gambling casinos detroit michigan
[url=http://xwn.in/jokers_jokers-cards]samsung blackjack sms multi[/url] macau charges casino tender process [url=http://xwn.in/lottery_platinum-lottery-international]platinum lottery international[/url]
play roulette online best internet casinos http://xwn.in/online-casino_ip-casino
[url=http://xwn.in/betting_best-betting-advice]the lottery by shirley jackson test[/url] bus trips to louisiana casinos from texas [url=http://xwn.in/bingo_auto-bingo-caling]auto bingo caling[/url]
samsung i617 blackjack ii 2 http://xwn.in/casino-online_private-branded-casino all international casinos [url=http://xwn.in/slot_slot-machine-free-play-igt]slot machine free play igt[/url]

Anonymous said...

veryfine dance shoes http://luxefashion.us/dark-grey-black-club-wear-color22.html discount nike basketball shoes [url=http://luxefashion.us/?action=products&product_id=1251]yellow box shoes click mocha[/url] nike sb shoes
http://luxefashion.us/dark-blue-long-sleeve-tops-color11.html baketball shoes [url=http://luxefashion.us/dsquared-casual-brand13.html]australian goth clothes[/url]

Anonymous said...

generic cadd level 3 windows [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/premarin.htm]premarin[/url] ferrous ammonium sulfate msds ph http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/lasix.htm peoria breast lift http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/ventolin.htm
piriformis syndrome muscle spasms in hamstring [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/diflucan.htm]diflucan[/url] history of the medical alert necklace [url=http://usadrugstoretoday.com/products/lexapro.htm]gloria pickar drug calculations[/url]

Anonymous said...

lost in space full movie download free [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_wild_things_2_2004/]wild things 2 2004[/url] marjorie kerns reunion sex movie http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_old_school/ dolls movie
failure to launch movie [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_children_of_the_corn_666_isaac_s_return/]children of the corn 666 isaac s return[/url] where to fine the alice in wonderland original movie http://moviestrawberry.com/hqmoviesbygenres/download-genre_adventure-movies/?page=16 naruto the movie 1 dvd amazon com
silent hill movie ending [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_dallas/]dallas[/url] cliff roberson western movie
english school short movie 1984 [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_addams_family_values/]addams family values[/url] capture software single frame of movie http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_ruby_blue/ porky pig movie
movie lyrics western red river [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_kill_kill_faster_faster/]kill kill faster faster[/url] pearland movie theaters http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_angel_blade/ movie poster frames

Anonymous said...

hi every person,

I identified mikeinnippon.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://jasubmityournews.info/forum].[/url][url=http://rssedge.info/].[/url][url=http://celeberitygossipve.info/bookmarks].[/url]

Anonymous said...

It is my first message here, so I would like to say hallo to all of you! It is definitely diversion to meet your community!