2/16/2005

The End Time Is Near...

Wow. I can't believe my Odyssey is almost over. While there's no doubt some influence from from the leisure of vacationing without worry at work here, I am only half looking forward to coming home. Home heralds a very busy school-work schedule, as I go into overdrive trying to finish a presentation and a paper. Well, reality is a harsh mistress. It will be very nice to sleep in a proper bed though.

Today was spent for the most part at You-me City, a sort of super-grocery store. You may have noticed that Japanese people have a penchant for calling shopping malls "cities". The only explanation I can offer is that is sounds trendy and self-contained, invoking a feeling that everything you need is right there. I realize now that I have no pictures of the grocery store itself, but there's a reasoning behind this. First, no chance for a location shot as we were in a car. Second, the place is just too damn big. Grocery store itself is a misnomer, as there are restaurants, and all manner of departments, selling clothing, stationary, housewares, toys, and even electronics. Conceptually, it's much more like a department store as we in Toronto might understand it. Walmart, perhaps, might be the closest thing to it.

What pics I do have are from the gaming centre, or arcade. Not the grungy-ass Yonge Street types, but the cleaner Scarlem ones, that cater to HKs and CBCs. I am, to a large degree, too old to be playing at an arcade...BUT:

This game is too much fun. No real need to explain why I find it so. Instead, some more pics.




And even a peanut gallery:


Just as fun, but far more interesting, was this game:


The point of the game is to hit the taiko drums in beat with the music, which ranges from simple folk/children's tunes, to pop chart toppers. A back ground in music is an asset, as it makes following 4/4 tempo easy. I made more mistakes thinking about when to hit the drum, as opposed to letting my instincts take over.

After lunch, grocery/gift shopping, precussion and double-tapping tangoes, we went out for dinner at the trendy Nakasu district of Fukuoka. Think John and Richmond, but with a greater lounge density. Nakasu is also famous for signs by the river front.


Dinner was okonomi-yaki, yam pancakes filled with all manner of goodness. Much to my own surprise, I was fine with the squid. On top of that, this kick ass place provided me with Guinness. Only down side? Only 1/2 pints.


Pictured above is my cousin, Makoto.

These last few pics showcase the apartment that my cousins live in. My grandmother is part owner of the land that the complex was built on, so as a result, her and her family's rent is stupidly cheap. I don't want to give figures, but its less than if 4 people went out to a good restaurant for dinner and drinks. A spot in the car park costs 500 yen per month. Or roughly $5. Like I said, stupidly cheap.


The building itself is 13 stories, and about 30 years old. My aunt lives on the 13th floor:


Yep, a button for the 13th floor. No silly superstitions about 13 here. But, 4 is an unlucky number, as it can also mean death.

And last, but certainly not least, the new girl in my life, whom I have named Hurricane Honoka:

Cute as a button. Maybe even cuter ;D

No comments: