During one of the regular haranguings often given to the students at my school by the teachers (as all teachers in all schools in Japan are wont to do), I remarked on an interesting difference of culture.
Of course, it's not surprising, as it IS a different culture.
It has to do with the notion of getting work done. In Canada and America, I get the sense that when someone implies or states that it's time to get down to the REAL work, there's this idea of rolling up your sleeves, perhaps loosen your tie a bit. I would imagine that this is because getting work done in this sense implies that it will require getting dirty, or doing heavy lifting etc. In other words, there's an emphasis on the idea that the real work involves the physical.
Compare this with Japan, where, at least according to the speech given by the Guidance Teacher (note that this is not a guidance counselor as we know it, but rather a teacher who is in charge of the disciplinary policies of the school), getting down to work involves cinching up the tie and making sure everything is tucked in and neat.
I'll surmise that this comes more from the idea that a neat appearance with promote a more serious mien and mental attitude, that play-time is over and it's time to WORK, as work is serious business.
1 comment:
That is an interesting note on work-cultural differences. It has made me think of a situation I see here.
At least in office environments where there are not strict policies in dress code (ie, my job), there have been days were I have found myself being more empowered to do great when showing up in suit pants and tucked in dress shirt, than jeans and a sweater. And I'm not the only one to do so.
Though I wonder, if you recall (though I regret doing so) the power suits from the 80s, if that has to do with an idea that more formality = greater work. Lord knows I have done just as you have said: Wake up, feel like I need to take on the world and dress up formally, then when shit hits the fan, promptly rolled up the sleeves to "get serious".
An interesting post; I like it.
Post a Comment