Holy crap! OK, this is a blitz blog update. I arrived home to find my official confirmation from my Contracting Organisation (CO) awaiting me. In a ritual shared my virtually all new JETs, I promptly ripped open the envelope and began leafing through the papers, in a desperate bid to find out where I was posted.
But first!
ITEM 1: The Address on the Envelope.
Fukuoka Prefectural Board of Education
7-7 Higashi-Koen (East Park)
Hakata-ku (Hakata Ward)
Fukuoka-shi (Fukuoka City)
Ok, so that was heart-stopping moment one. But the rational side of my brain kicked in. Of course the Fukuoka Prefecture BoE is in Fukuoka City. Where else would it be? In the middle of no-where Fukuoka?
ITEM 2: Welcome Letter from my Prefectural Advisor (PA).
A senior JET, who is sort of a JET supervisor for all Fukuoka Pref. JETs. In this letter are a few choice statements. Among other things, reference to my placement as a Senior High-school (SHS) ALT. This means I'm going to be placed at a single high-school for the duration of my contract. Next is a description of Fukuoka City as the one of the best rated cities in Asia to live in, it's thriving international community, and most heart-stopping, that "[I will] quickly grow accustomed to [my] new life [there]."
Holy crap! Does this mean what I think it means? Am I going to be placed in my heart of hearts desire, Fukuoka City? The place where I spent hot dreamy summers, and one epiphany-granting winter? Words, inelegant things that they are, cannot hope to describe the feeling that are rushing through me at the moment.
ITEM 3: Sample Floor Plan of a Kyoshokuin Jutaku (Teacher's Apartment).
Scattered through-out the Prefecture, Teacher's Apartments are "cheap, spacious and available". At the risk of angering my readers, the listed rent is about 10,000 yen (c. $100.00) a month, with some variations from place to place. Square footage seems to be about 500-600 sqft.
Of course, Item 2 is the mainstay of my hopes, while Item 1 and 3 bring my back to reality. I find it very difficult not to get my hopes up, so for now, I will email my PA and see if I can wrangle some more information from her.
OMG OMG OMG...
No comments:
Post a Comment