5/31/2006

It's official!

Last night I got word at the JET General Information Meeting, the news I have been waiting these past weeks for: placement. It's news I greet with great joy, a sense of relief, and a little bit of trepidation.

I'm headed to Fukuoka Prefecture.

So where is that? Fukuoka Prefecture lies on the the northern end of Kyushu, the southern most of the four main islands. It is, also the prefecture where my parents were born, and where many of my relatives live. The two major cities in Fukuoka Prefecture are Fukuoka City and Kitakyushu, and the Prefecture has a total population of just over 5 million (at least according to wiki). It's one of the larger prefectures, but with a relatively small population.

As I'm not yet assigned to any specific town or city, its most likely that I'm going to be a Prefectural ALT (PA). Things can go in a number of directions from there. It's possible that I might be assigned to a single senior highschool, joining them mid-way through the year (Japan's school year goes from April to March, and the kids will be away for summer vacation until September). Another option may be that I will be a sort of floating ALT, assigned to several junior highschools, and even elementary schools! In the coming weeks, I should be contacted with the specifics of my placement, my job, and where I will be living for the next year or so.

While I'm close to my relatives, it's doubtful I'll be assigned to Fukuoka City or Kitakyushu. This is both good and bad, I suppose. Good because my relatives aren't too close at hand, but close enough that if I really find myself in the shitter I can call on them. Bad because I'll more than likely lose the convenience that living in a major urban centre brings, like 24 hour taxis and a hospital with an emergency ward open at all times. I won't know of course what my exact situation will be, but I can't wait to find out.

In hindsight, I'm actually fairly lucky in getting word of my placement now. Some people may not get word until mid July, and with the few weeks it may take to get the formal letter of employment from their Contracting Organisation, they may not know where they're going until just before we're set to leave.

And here I was complaining about a few weeks!

No comments: