Unlike my real vision, hindsight is 20/20. So now that I've calmed down a bit, I'd like to reveal some more information that has come across my desk.
Well, virtual desk, as it came in the form of an email. Having jumped the gun and emailed the Fukuoka-ken PA, I soon realised that many of the questions I had were essentially answered on www.fukuokajet.com, a JET initiated forum and website for Fukuoka JETs. However the PA, whom I suspect is a fellow canuck, was gracious enough despite my newbishness to provide some clues to my placement.
First off, I am not in Fukuoka City. While my ardent hopes were dashed, I am far from upset. In fact, I'm pretty damned happy with the prospect of living in a completely new place. Hearing from the PA nudged me one-step closer into that "OMG I'm going to Japan" mindset. The only thing I know right now about where I might be placed is that it's in the middle of Fukuoka. I think that puts me about 30 minutes away from Fukuoka City by rail.
Some other things I've found out. I'm going to be placed in a highschool that actually has an English course (versus, I think just an English lesson as part of the regular school day), so I think I can rely on the fact that the students I'll be teaching will actually want to learn, the Holy Grail of all teachers. I'll also be team-teaching with a new ALT from the US. Oh the fun we'll have correcting our respective spellings :)
I should be contacted next week by my predecessor, and so I'll be able to provide some more details then.
No comments:
Post a Comment