5/24/2006

Potent Portables

A shameless paraphrasing of one of the funnier SNL skits in recent years. I am still in JET Purgatory, awaiting news of placement, but rest assured when I do find out where I will be going, I will blog that event even as I am whisked away to Paradise.

I promised last post that I would say more about my new laptop, and as the canny reader will no doubt clue in from the title, my Dell Inspiron 6400 has arrived. In fact, this post is being written on my new baby.

The good stuff: Intel Centrino Core Duo-Processor running at 1.83 ghz, 1 GB DDR RAM clocking in at 533 mhz, 256 MB ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 Video card, Sound Blaster Audigy MB sound card, 15.1" Widescreen display, 8x DVD Burner.

The bad stuff: only the fact that this puppy beats my desktop PC in everything but loudness (my new baby doesn't even purr like a kitten it's so damned quiet...). Also, given that's it's virtually a virgin XP install, it isn't falling apart at the seams like my desktop.

Ok, so it's fair to say that I'm in honeymoon bliss with my laptop. Considering the kind of crap that installs itself into computers these day, both legitimate and viral, only time will tell if I will need to make use of Dell's "Recovery" CD.

I have already installed FFXI on my new laptop, and will shortly be installing, probably, Ritual's latest offering Sin: Emergence. No doubt it will run far smoother on this. You might have guessed that this laptop, on top of all that a laptop represents to JETs in terms of classroom productivity, is meant to be my gaming rig while I am in Japan. The decision to build a PC in Japan has been floating around in my mind for some time, but it seems to me that there is a dearth of PC gaming in Japan for those interested in games that are not hentai or daughter/sister/princess/slave simulator. Building a PC in Japan may not be worth it unless I stay longer than a year. So for now, trusty 6400, the spotlight is on you!

What does my new laptop look like? Google "Dell Inspiron 6400" you lazy schmuck!

No comments: