It's been a few weeks since I've posted. Yes, the heat is unbearable, and on Monday Fukuoka had the dubious distinction of being the hottest place in Japan. Walking the 12 minutes from the train station to the school literally drenches me in sweat.
One of the new weather watch-words in Japan is Guerrilla Rain. Like its namesake, this Guerrilla Rain appears out of nowhere, rains HARD as hell, and then just as suddenly disappears. When I say hard, I mean like 70-100 mm of rainfall per hour! It's nuts. I was told that last Saturday, the school track field flooded to about 10cm, with random bits of detritus floating around.
So add to that this:


These are pics of a waterspout that formed in the ocean near my school. I am told that such things are unheard of in tihs area. The first pic is of a waterspout that formed north of our school. That was most definitely in the sea. The second pic was shot to the south of our school. There's no water down that way, and that may explain why it didn't completely form. While the clouds themselve are the main focus of that picture, you can see the initial formation of what I think is a tornado. Look just to the left of the electrical tower, and you'll see the cloud just starting to funnel downwards.
All I can say is freaky.
More pics
here.
3 comments:
When I first heard the expression, I thought it was "gorilla" rain. Because I am an idiot.
How do you say it in Japanese?
Lol; Guerrilla rain. Love that expression.
That is some crazy weather you're having. Good photos, but not something I'd like to see up close. Or experience.
Then again, in Toronto we've had the most rain this summer than I can remember. Mother nature is pissed, I think.
Ian
In Japanese, it's pronounces Ge-ri-ra Ame. If you say it fast enough, it sounds like Geri Ame, which would equate to diarrhea rain...
Post a Comment