7/08/2008

oh gods...

...the heat! Yes, summertime is finally here. With rainy season (tsuyu) finally over, sunny days are here. It is a true fact that I end up at school drenched every day, and arrive home drenched every day, DESPITE RAINY SEASON BEING OVER!

The merciless heat is compounded by the lack of real air conditioning. Yes, Genkai has air con. Yes, it's on and has been since the beginning of the month. No, it doesn't really make a difference. In another brilliant move, where Japanese bureaucracy (the same bureaucracy that regulates for the most part in all prefectural schools and buildings IN THE PREFECTURE when to turn ON the air con) has decided to pinch pennies in all the wrong places and have the air con running at a balmy 26 degrees.

OK, so the fact that I come from a purportedly "northern" country has something to do with my discomfiture. But 26 degrees + single-pane uninsulated glass + no insulation = a hot fucking room. Why doesn't anyone else see that?

Really, it's not actually all that bad. Instead of sweat poring off of me, I'm relatively dry all day and a simple hand fan moves enough air for me to feel comfortable. But damn it I (and I am not alone in this), would gladly pay into some kind of air con fund and have the air con in the teachers room set to 24 all the time.

No comments: