How odd things work out the way they do. There was some talk about me moving to Hakata, an idea which is seeming more and more remote, due in part to some real estate laws where I would have to live (at least on paper) with my grandmother for a year, or some such. More complicated than it's worth, plus I get the feeling I'd get sucked into some sort of family stuff, which I have scrupulously avoided these last 3 years. Not that I don't like my family. But I enjoy my semi-hikikomori/hermit status.
So here I was, ready to live here another year (and possibly another after that). But I just heard that this place, this dear old, decrepit apartment, is on the chopping block (or wrecking ball, as the case may be). I had heard rumors to that effect, but today was the first semi-confirmation I got.
It's all second-hand knowledge. My co-ALT, who is moving, had to go with some school office people to see what needed to be tossed due to years of ALTs leaving their crap for their successors. It was there that the office people mentioned the impending destruction of the apartment, and consequent move to...
Kasuya! Though the geography means nothing to those unfamiliar to this neck of Japan, it would mean an hour commute by train/bike to and from school.
Allow me to make a big hrrrmm....
OK, so the travel time doesn't really bother me, even though it will mean having to wake up and leave an hour earlier. And to be honest, it will free me up from a bunch of things here which eat away at my beloved me-time, so that's a bonus.
But it's likely that I will have to foot the bill for the move.
Honestly, I don't know how to feel about it, but as a person who has a bad tendency to nest, I think I'm looking forward to the forced change.
3 comments:
Man, that's crazy. They blow right past Koga, Hisayama and Shingu and put you in Kasuya?
And that means their gonna put the next Koryo ALT over there too? Sucks to be them...
I don't see how the longer commute - wait, you're gonna have to train it everyday, huh?/okane da! - frees up you for more "me time..."
Man, the whole town's breaking up... it's getting nutty.
I blame my wife. She left first. Started all this nonsense :)
Later dude, and let me know when the building is coming down... I gotta get some last "natsukashii" pics...
Re-reading this, you know what's dicked up? You know all this stuff only second-hand? That's fucked up. You should start kicking up a little dust and making folks answer some questions. If they actually know stuff at Genkai and aren't telling you, that's some unacceptable nonsense! Get 'em Mike!
Yeah. I'm a little miffed about not knowing, so I will probably ask my supervisor today to get me some answers.
Yeah, I wonder what will happen to the new Koryo ALT... Though, I think as long as they can get to Higashi-Fukuma station, their commute wouldn't be all that different from mine.
Post a Comment