9/03/2008

Lazy days of Indian Summer.

It's an odd feeling to be in my 3rd year in Japan. I've been teaching at Genkai for 2 years, and through the magic of the Japanese school year, I'm actually on my 3rd set of students. I suppose there's a certain sense that I'm nesting again, not really going forward, circling for a landing as it where.

I notice this a lot now in the lessons I'm "planning". Gone are the halcyon days where everything was planned head to toe by me, including rules, directions, execution, etc. Instead, I find that these days most of my activities come from outside sources, either the internet or from other ALTs/Teachers.

I think there's a degree of job-familiarity that's involved here. Whereas 2 years ago I didn't know what I was doing, having done this job for a while, I have a good grasp of what works and what doesn't. Of course you still get the occasional flop, but for the most part my lessons are competent.

But that in a sense is leading to boredom. It's harder and harder to come off a class on a high, and as my teaching starts to focus more and more on actual English instruction (versus the staple cultural exposition that our ilk are known for), I find that it's harder and harder to innovate.

Oh still act the jack-ass in class. After all, ALTs should be equal parts teachers and actors. But maybe it's just the heat that does it to me, but I definitely feel lazier.

But NOT when it comes to my diet, so it seems. In another effort to lose weight, I'm while not strictly, but to a degree controlling my evening caloric intake, and watching my meals during lunch and dinner. Dinner is down to about 500 calories, with lunch at about 700. Breakfast is as normal. This, plus a little (and I really do mean a little) more exercise. So far, day 6 today, so we'll see how we do. On a small note, I went from 99.6 kilos to 98 over the course of these few days. That translates into about 3.5 pounds. Not bad for not doing anything other than eating less.

Anyway, not much else to reports, save for my new helmet. Yes, the colour is intentional. I hope to decorate one of the larger surfaces with a big yellow Zeon mark, and a Zeonic Corporation logo somewhere. I love being a geek.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Mike,

Sounds like a case of the summer doldrums. But don't let it get you down. You are getting more used to your role, and as you've said, the challenge might be lessening. Perhaps you need to find a new way to challenge yourself on the job?

Also, good work on the diet. I need to take a page from your book.

Cool helmet,

Ian

PS. I recall years ago how you weren't that into Gundam. And look at you now! My boy's all grown up :)