7/03/2007

Paging Dr. House.

Just like it's not paranoia is they're really out to get you, it's not hypochondria is you're actually sick a lot. Well, since I've come to Japan (almost a whole year now if you can believe), I've gotten sick a couple of times, had a small asthma attack once, but otherwise been fairly healthy. However, my asthma means that as a general rule, I go to the doctor at least once a month. Now, my abuse of the Japanese medical system aside, this means that for the most part I catch problems early. Consider my high cholesterol, a problem which emerged while I was here, and then due to prompt treatment, is back to normal.

But back to my current problem. After a weekend being cooped up in the house, I got to the doctor's today. After drawing some blood, some initial testing may indicate that I have whooping cough.

Holy fucking shit.

Really it's more annoying than anything else. I haven't been told to quarantine myself or anything, but the wiki article seems to indicate that this is pretty damned contagious. Well, I'll take care to keep a towel or something I can cough into. In the meanwhile, I have some meds (good ol' Azithromycin) to cure me up. Lets hope that it doesn't actually take 100 days to cure, as the Japanese name would seem to indicate (it's called "100-day Cough" here).

2 comments:

Rob Pugh said...

Once a month seems par for the course for the average Japanese, but whooping cough? Seriously? Geez dude, make sure you keep your death sputum away from me. Yeah, make sure you have a towel, so you can keep all those germs with you in one place, and carry them around with you.

And now Azithromycin? On top of it all, now you're helping grow super immune bugs?

And I'm not a doctor, but I recommend treatment with Jack Daniels. Or Rum.

Get well soon.

PS. At least it's not lupus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YUvo7YxqwM

Mike Morikawa said...

God, I know. But as an asthmatic, Zithro and I are long time pals. Anyhoo, right now, I'm on enforced leave and actually using byo-kyu for it while I wait for my test results to come back.

All this coughing has ripped my voicebox to shit, so the best I can manage now is a croak.